Roasted Lamb Shanks with Cannellini BeansRoasted lamb shanks…redolent of herbs and wine…don’t forget the warm semolina bread!
- Prep Time 3.5
- 4 Lamb Shanks
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 cup garlic, minced
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 3T fresh rosemary OR fresh thyme, minced finely
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 14 oz container of glace de veau mixed with 1 cup water
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 lb dried cannellini beans, prepared (recipe below)
- ½ parsley, chopped finely
- Blot shanks dry, season liberally with salt and pepper
- Heat 3T oil in large skillet and brown shanks on all sides.
- Remove to dish, wipe out skillet
- Add 3T oil to skillet and heat on low
- Add garlic, onions, carrots, and rosemary OR thyme and sweat for 15 minutes
- Add the wine, the veal stock and bay leaves to veggies and cook down on medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add shanks back to pot with any drippings on the dish
- Cover pot and simmer on low for at least 2.5 hours. Depending on the size of the shanks, it might take longer. You will know they are ready when the meat is beyond fork tender.
- To serve, ladle the beans onto a large plate and place the shanks on them. Top with the pan sauce.
- Serve the shanks with garlicky broccoli rabe and lots of bread
How to prepare beans:
Drain and put into pot, cover with cold water up to 3 inches above the beans. Add 2 bay leaves. Boil. Skim. Reduce heat and cook for 1 hour. Add 1T kosher salt, and cook until tender. Drain.