Braised Irish Whiskey Beef Short RibsEnjoy short ribs braised low and slow with whiskey sauce. Serving suggestion: offer some tender roasted new potatoes.
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Cook Time 3 hours
4T butter, Irish preferable
2T olive oil
5lb beef short ribs
6 carrots, peeled and diced
6 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
2 Spanish onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2T tomato paste
1/4 c brown sugar
3T Worcestershire sauce
Small bundle thyme
2 cups Irish whiskey (PLUS 1 CUP for sauce)
6 cups veal stock, made with the 14 oz glace de viande and 6 cups water
2T flour whisked into ¼ cup whiskey and drippings
- Heat oven to 325.
- Melt butter with oil, medium high heat in heavy stock pot
- Brown short ribs on all sides, a few at a time, and remove to plate
- Add to same pot carrots, leeks, onions and caramelize over medium heat around 10 minutes
- Add garlic and saute a few minutes, don’t let garlic burn
- Add tomato paste, sugar and Worcestershire sauce, saute another 3 minutes
- Deglaze with 2 cups whiskey
- Let boil and reduce by half
- Add veal stock and bring to simmer
- Add ribs and all of their juices to pot with thyme bundle
- Cover and put into oven
- Cook for 2.5 hours, or until meat is fall apart tender
- Carefully remove ribs to a plate and strain out the vegetables from the liquid, reserving all of the liquid.
- Try to spoon off as much fat as possible from the liquid
- Put the liquid and the reserved whiskey in a small pot and heat until boiling, reduce liquid 1/3, then add the flour slurry and whisk until sauce thickens.
- Pour over short ribs and serve with roasted potatoes.