Saturday Rolls with Mozzarella and Broccoli Rabe SausageMemories of Saturday afternoons in Brooklyn… These sausage rolls were usually popping up. A little bit messy and a lot of wonderful!
- Prep Time 1 hour
- 5 short, crusty Italian rolls, split with insides removed
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 lb Mozzarella and Broccoli Rabe Sausage, 5 links
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 c white wine
- Ricotta & Roasted Pepper Spread (see below)
- 1 c freshly grated Parmigiana
- 1 c mozzarella, finely shredded
Prepare the Saturday Rolls with Mozzarella and Broccoli Rabe Sausage:
- Heat oven to 450F.
- Brown sausage on high heat on all sides in olive oil until browned. Lower the flame and add ½ cup chicken stock. Cover the pan and let cook until sausage is 155 degrees in the center (take temp by inserting the thermometer in either end so you don’t puncture the sausage casing).
- Remove to the dish, leave drippings in the pan. Slice your sausages lengthwise in two.
- Deglaze pan on high with white wine and scrape up all the bits from the bottom for 2 minutes, then reduce and stir a bit, leave on the side.
Prepare your roasted pepper and ricotta spread:
- Chop two roasted peppers (char on the stove or take them out of a jar, your choice) and blend with 2 cups ricotta until smooth; add a shot of kosher and pepper and 2T fresh grated parmigiana.
Build your rolls:
- On the bottom halves, spread the ricotta.
- Dip your sausage halves in the drippings and lay face-up side by side on the ricotta.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and parmigiana.
- Drizzle drippings on the inside of the top half and put them on the tray to bake for 7 minutes. Don’t join the halves.
- The rolls are ready when the mozzarella melts and the ends of the bread tops are crispy.
Enjoy with a cold beer!