Pork & Apple StuffingPerfect with Crown Roast of Pork
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Cook Time 50 minutes
- 1 pkg cubed bread stuffing
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ stick unsalted butter, plus 1 whole stick
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 5 links DeBragga Pork & Apple Sausage, casing removed, crumbled
- 1 T poultry seasoning
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to season
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, add cubed stuffing and set aside.
- In a medium stock pot, combine stock and whole milk and bring to a simmer over low heat. Add ½ stick butter and simmer until melted. Stir with a whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the remaining stick of butter. Add onions and celery, and saute over low heat until onions soften. Add apples and toss to coat. Cook 5 minutes, add crumbled sausage and stir to combine.
- Raise the heat under the skillet to medium and stirring constantly, cook until the sausage loses its color and begins to brown. Add poultry seasoning and stir.
- Transfer the cooked sausage mixture to the bowl of stuffing and toss with large spoons to combine. Add 2 cups of the stock/milk/butter mixture to the bowl and continue carefully tossing to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary Taste for texture as well, and add more stock/milk/butter if it tastes a bit dry. Add as much or all, if necessary, and then transfer to a 9×13 greased baking dish.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook for 45 minutes (or fill cavity of Crown Roast of Pork, as directed).