Grilled Veal chops served with grilled eggplant, zucchini and onion with fresh cilantro
- Two Frenched veal rack chops (chops come in a four pack; reserve the remaining two wrapped and in freezer if not using within five days of purchase)
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2 TB olive oil
Eggplant, zucchini and onion with fresh cilantro:
- a 3/4-pound eggplant, sliced for grilling (about 3 cups)
- 1 small zucchini, scrubbed and sliced for grilling
- Sea salt
- 1 onion, sliced for grilling
- Olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
Prepare the veal:
- Remove the veal chops from the refrigerator one hour before cooking. Remove the chops from their packaging, pat dry all over with paper towels and set on a cutting board. Season with salt and pepper on both sides, then rub all over with olive oil. Let sit until ready to cook.
- Preheat a grill (or saute pan over medium heat). Place chops on the grill. After a minute or two, turn the chops 90 degrees to create grill marks on one side; cook another minute or so and then flip to the other side. Continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 140°F; this may take fifteen minutes or so. Let rest before serving with the lively vegetable dish, below.
Prepare the eggplant and zucchini:
- Lay the slices on double thick paper towels and salt heavily; let drain for 20 minutes, flip the slices, and salt the other side. Let the moisture drain for another 20 minutes, pat the vegetables dry, and transfer them to a platter.
- Oil the eggplant, zucchini, and onion slices, dipping a pastry brush into olive oil and then lightly painting on the olive oil to both sides of each slice; stack slices on the platter and bring to the grill. Grill all the vegetables, standing by to see that each piece is marked and tender, turning, 5 minutes or so per side, depending on how hot your grill is (you can pan roast the vegetables if a grill is not available). Transfer to a cutting board and cut into one-inch pieces; reserve in a bowl.
- Heat a pot large enough to easily handle all the vegetables to medium heat; add 2TB of olive oil, and when warm, add the garlic. Saute, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the grilled chopped vegetables and stir. Remove from heat, add the chopped cilantro, combine well and taste for seasoning. Add salt if necessary.