Breakfast Sausage CompoteYou are one skillet away from this any-time-of-day meal.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cook Time 45 minutes
- 1 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 8 oz apple juice
- 12 oz GOS Pork and Apple Sausage
- 2 c apples (I used Honeycrisp), cored, peeled, and sliced thinly, tossed with some lemon juice
- 2 c pears (I used Anjou), cored, peeled, and sliced thinly, tossed with some lemon juice
- ½ c light brown sugar
- 4 T butter
- In a bowl, combine the apricots and cherries and apple juice. Set aside
- In a large cold skillet, place the sausage and heat on low for 10 minutes, then raise to medium and start browning on all sides until done, about 20 minutes more. Remove from pan to a plate.
- In same skillet, deglaze with the apple juice the fruits have been marinating in – and scrape up all that delicious fond from the bottom of the pan, allowing the liquid to boil a minute, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the sugar and butter, and whisk constantly as the butter melts to mix thoroughly.
- Add apples and pears and turn to coat
- Add apricots and cherries and turn to coat
- Simmer the compote, turning the fruits often to cook evenly, about 10 minutes.
- Add sausage back to skillet and allow to heat through, another 6 minutes.
- Serve with waffles, pancakes, or scrambled eggs.