Smokey Ham with Country Gravy
You will be back at Grammy’s table with this insanely rich porky gravy we love to serve on biscuits or grits. Add some grass fed cheddar and take this to the next level.
- 4T bacon fat (or, butter, if you don’t hoard great bacon fat)
- 6T all purpose flour
- 5C milk, heated
- 2C GOS Smoked Ham, sliced thickly and diced large
- Kosher Salt and loads of Fresh Black Pepper
- In a large sauce pan on low, melt the bacon fat completely.
- Whisk in the flour and mix well, let simmer for 2 minutes, whisking constantly
- Add hot milk a cup at a time, whisking thoroughly between additions. Let simmer slowly to thicken.
- Add 2T Kosher salt and 7 good grinds of pepper
- In a skillet, toss the ham until heated through, and add to the pot of gravy, mixing thoroughly, turning mixture from the bottom to ensure even distribution of the ham.
- Serve over cheddar biscuits, grits, or even polenta (Italian Grits)