- 2 Debragga Ribeye steaks (Buy Now)
- 1/2 cup liquid smoke
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Smoked Maldon Sea Salt, for serving
To Make Smoked Salt
Maldon Sea salt from England has a great flavor and the large flakes are perfect for smoking.
- 1 cup hickory chips
- 1 cup Maldon Sea Salt
- Mound chips in the center of a pan and place over high heat.
- Light the chips and allow them to burn until they turn black. Reduce the heat to low.
- Line the perforated pan with foil and sprinkle sea salt evenly in the pan. Place the cover on top.
- Smoke the salt for 15 minutes over a low heat or in an oven at 400 degrees
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. This will keep for several months.
To Prepare the Steaks
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Put the steaks on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Pour the liquid smoke in a shallow rimmed dish. Place the steaks in the dish and them allow to marinate 5 minutes on each side
- Heat a grill pan over high heat.
- Season lightly with smoked salt and pepper
- Brush the steaks on both sides with the butter
- Place the steaks on the hot grill pan and sear about 3 minutes per side until a nice brown crust forms
- Transfer to the oven and continue cooking until it reaches the desired doneness, approximately 5 minutes for medium rare
- Remove the steaks from the oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes
- Slice into 1 thick pieces and season generously with the smoked Maldon salt.