4.5lb Pork Roast (Order Now)
(Boneless Loin or Rack)
- 1 cup Armagnac
- 2 cups pitted prunes
- Coarse Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup of duck fat or vegetable oil
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, cored,
- seeded, cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 31/2 cups of veal stock
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 4 endives, trimmed and blanched
Marinate Prunes for 48 hours
- Place prunes in non reactive bowl with Armagnac to cover by about 1/2 inch.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate.
- Using a sharp knife make a 3 inch deep cut running lengthwise down the center of the pork loin and open it as you would a book. Lay the prunes down the center one on top of the other to make a neat row.
- Fold the meat over the prunes and carefully tie the loin into a neat roll with kitchen twine or stitch the meat closed. Season with salt and pepper generously.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat the duck fat in a large oven proof, heavy duty skillet over medium heat. Add the pork turning frequently to brown on all sides. Lower heat and add tomatoes, half of the carrots, onions and garlic.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add thyme, bay leaf and wine, deglaze pan by stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Raise heat to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add 2 cups of veal stock and place in preheated oven. Roast for 30 minutes, basting every ten minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 375°F and roast pork basting every 15 minutes for an hour or until juices run clear when meat is pierced or until meat reached 145°F. Add water as needed.
- While pork is in the oven, heat clarified butter and sauté endives for about 10 minutes or until golden on all sides. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat remaining duck fat and sauté remaining onion, carrots and garlic for about 5minutes. Place reserved endives on top of vegetables, add remaining veal stock and bake in oven for about 20 minutes (basting occasionally). Add seasoning and keep warm.
Prepare to Serve
- Remove pork from skillet and tent lightly with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Place skillet over medium heat and simmer braising liquid for aboutm8 minutes reducing slightly. Pour through sieve into a gravy boat and set aside.
- Place endives on platter. Remove twine from pork roast and using sharp knife cut the meat crosswise.
- Place prune filled slices over endives and serve with sauce passed on the side.