- Flat Iron Beef (Order Now)
- 2 big Spanish onions
- 3 carrots
- 1 garlic head
- 1 bouquet garnis (bay leaf, thyme, parsley and celery tied on a green leek)
- 1 ounce black peppercorn
- 1 ounce coarse sea salt
- 1 gallon of heavy red wine
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (minimum 72% )
- 1 pound of pearl onions
- 1 pound of button mushrooms
- 8 ounces of butter
- 5 ounces of smoked pork slab
2-3 days before serving
- Take the piece of beef and grill or roast it on all its faces to obtain a nice dark brown color.
- While it is grilling, cut the carrots and the onions in big chunks, the garlic in two.
- Prepare the bouquet with leeks (greens), fresh thyme, bay leaves, parsley.
- When the beef is marked, put it in a big pot along with the onions, carrots, garlic salt and pepper, bouquet, red wine, and the chocolate.
- Let everything rest together in your refrigerator.
The morning of your dinner
- Take the meat out off the wine mixture and place it in a big pot.
- Drain the vegetables and sauté them.
- Add 3 spoonfuls of flour and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour some of the wine on the veggies.
- Put everything on top of the meat.
- Bring the pot to a boil, and then cook in the oven at 325°F for 4 to 6 hours.
- Cook the mushrooms and the baby onions with a little stock, a piece of butter, a pinch of sugar and salt until brown.
- Cut, blanch and sear the bacon.
- When the meat is cooked, take it out of the juice.
- Cut it into pieces of 1 to 2 oz.
- Reduce and drain the sauce.
- In one or two large heavy pot(s) place the meat, the garnish, and the sauce.
- Half an hour before the dinner put the pots in the oven.
- You can serve this “bourguignon” with fresh pasta or boiled potatoes.
- For the pasta, pre-cook them “al dente”, and at the moment of service, re-heat them with a little water, a little heavy cream and a piece of butter, salt and pepper.
- For the boiled potatoes, pre-cook them and add them to the pot when you re-heat the bourguignon.